Author Topic: Mini-hip one year follow-up  (Read 3870 times)

dbhearts

• View Profile
Mini-hip one year follow-up
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:24:49 AM »
With surgery dates of Sept. 2, 2010 (left) and April 25th, 2011 (right), I am now past/near the one year mark for both sides.  I have been carefully watching my recovery and rehab and abilities as my hip surgery was of a kind that was new without much proven track-record.  I had a Stryker/Corin hybrid mini-hip done on both sides using the direct-anterior approach by Dr. Snyder at Newton-Wellesley Hospital.  Both of these protheses components were FDA approved in early 2010.

I wish to give a brief summary to you readers of my progress (full story at dayacheson.info/minihip).  My recovery was swift indeed, especially for the second surgery.  After several weeks I was back into resuming my rock climbing activities, carefully testing my abilities.  Last summer was an interesting one as I regained strength and stamina and carefully explored hip range of motion and stability.

This surgery/prothesis combination came with "no restrictions to range of motion and weight bearing as tolerated" from day one which was a surprise to each of the PTs that I worked with.  As I did my cautious exploration, I happily found that my hip was seamless and competent, and worth every bit as much as before.  In fact, I was soon climbing past my abilities of ten years ago.

I was reluctant, though, to really see how far it would go during the summer months, being still only several months on the newer hip, so I continued to hold back slightly in my climbing agenda.  I also included several longer hiking trips, 5 miles or so, up the local mountains and would watch for my muscle/joint responses after.

It was over the winter that I had an opportunity to fully realize the ability of my new joints when I found myself in a tight climbing move at the local indoor rock climbing gym requiring a maximum extended stretch requiring full weight bearing.  As it felt solid while beginning this move, I decided to follow through and continue this move, doing my careful "watch-feel" as I did it.  Big smiles came to me as I saw and felt the smooth and seamless quality of these new joints.  My confidence took a sudden leap with this moment.  My doubts of any limitation vanished.   My thoughts that I may damage, or over-stress my new joints dissipated, and I fully took to heart the words of Dr. Snyder that I "may live a normal life" and do what I normally do.  When he first said this at the three month follow-up, I felt inside that he may not know what my "normal" was.

Ever since then I have been fearless and have felt complete confidence.  My spring climbing season has begun and I have chosen things as hard as my mind is ready for, knowing that my body will support me.

[To be continued.... laptop just told me look around for a plug, and there is no plug in sight] 

Cheers y'all
-Day
L/R Styker/Corin mini-hip Dr. Snyder Sept/2010, Apr/2011
full story at dayacheson.info/minihip

pwalter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Surface Hippy
Re: Mini-hip one year follow-up
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »
Day

Great report.  Glad to hear things are going so well.  I will post your story on the main site when you finish up.

Thanks for taking time to tell others about your surgery and recovery. I know they appreciate it.

Good Luck.

Pat
Pat from Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Specht

• View Profile
Re: Mini-hip one year follow-up
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »
It's good to hear that you're doing well!