+-

Poll

any one have experience with cement failure ?

redo  ?
0 (0%)
replace material ?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: cement failure  (Read 4695 times)

hobecat

• View Profile
cement failure
« on: June 08, 2008, 03:33:36 PM »
I had THR about 12 years ago and no problems until recently. I have experienced some muscular type discomfort in my thigh and groin area. My surgeon is now telling me I have cement that is disintegrating in the area of the section of the prosthesis in the femur. This is clearly visible by x-ray.
If this continues at a rapid rate it will loosen the prosthesis and require a redo of atleast part of it. Would welcome any comments.

pwalter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Surface Hippy
Re: cement failure
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 04:18:59 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Total Hip Talk.

I don't have a real experience to share with you, but hope that they might be able to just redo the femur portion of your hip.  Hopefully the acetabular cup is still ok.  Has the doctor told you what needs to be done?

I know a lot of doctors like to use a cementless stem for younger people.  The cement - cementless issue is always a big discussion area on many dicsussion groups.

This group is still small, but we will give you support as you move forward.  You story will also helps others in the future.

I know one of the typical ranges doctors often quote is a thr will last 10-15 years.  Sounds like you got short changed a little.

I imagine that the loose femur stem is becoming quite painful.

Please keep in touch and I wish you the best of luck.

Pat

Pat from Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hobecat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:33:42 PM »
The good thing is that I think it is early in the game. The acetabulum cup is fine it is just he femoral area that may be a problem. I am really seeking other folks that have had a similar problem and see what solution was offered. I will certainly get another opinion and may travel to a nearby Mayo Cliic in Jacksonville , FL. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

grimace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »
A recent article in the UK 'Daily Mail' suggests that cement failure could be caused by the presence of certain genes in the recipient. Research is stil not complete but the way seems clear to implement genetic screening in years to come before cementing.

I know my thr is cemented....I have no idea which gene is involved. I guess we should choose our parents carefully. ???

grim

Pookarina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:10:38 PM »
My THR is Wright MOM cobalt chrome alloy and my late surgeon thought perhaps I am having a metal allergy.
He said research has shown recently that women have a HUGE rate of allergic response to the alloy.... 4%  1 in every 25.

That is way too high.

But he is gone now and I am worse off in every way than before as not only is my hip worse and much more painful than before the surgery but now I don't have the same medical/surgical options I had before I lost my doctor.

Yes, I know I sound pessimistic, but that is because I am!

Ads