Author Topic: Outside push for faster recovery  (Read 2816 times)

esperken

• View Profile
Outside push for faster recovery
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:31:43 PM »
I am 3 weeks post surgery for a total hip replacement, 42 years old and also dealing with extreme fatigue.  I was actually told by my surgeon that younger patients have a harder time recovering as their muscle tone is stronger and so the muscles react a lot more to the invasion.  As well, younger patients often don't give themselves the time to recover or have so much more in their lives that force them to get moving sooner.  I am struggling as I am a single mom of 6 kids and my youngest are 4 year old twins.  So I am not getting the rest, sleep that I need and I have to do so much more in a day than I feel capable of.  Knowing that the fatigue is normal is helpful, at least it's not something I am doing.  I had severe muscle cramping that is starting to subside after 2 weeks with muscle relaxants, but it kept me awake as well as back pains as I can't sleep on either side yet.  I feel pushed into doing more or recovering faster by well meaning friends/family who quote others who had the surgery as "the pain was gone as soon as the surgery was over and I was so relieved not to have the arthritic pain anymore".  I feel guilty for struggling, being tired, still having pain, overwhelmed.

Mike D

• View Profile
Re: Outside push for faster recovery
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
Hi esperken,
At 3 weeks post surgery, you're really early in your recovery. Everyone feels some form of fatigue, it's a major thing we've had done.
Some good advice I got over on Pat's surfacehippy site was to never compare your recovery to anyone else's as we all heal differently.
If someone recovers quickly, they are doing well but it usually takes around 6 months for most people to feel comfortable with a new hip.
If you can, get as much help with the kids as you can over the next few months and try and get the rest you need as well as doing the strengthening exercises.
You want this new hip to last a long,long time! All the best,Mike.

pwalter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Surface Hippy
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »
Hi

Sorry to hear you are having problems.  We all do heal at different rates and it is not unusual to have pain and fatigue for anywhere from a few weeks post op to 6 weeks, 2 months or 6 months.  Depends on your body.

There is no way to push your body to heal.  It will only heal on it's own timeline whether you are a 20 year old marathoner or a 61 year old woman.  You will have back, knee and other hip pain since your body has been working very unbalanced.  It will take time for them to get back to normal.  It will take 6 months for most healing in your hip, so it will take that long or longer - usually - for the other pains to get better.

You are very young and I know it makes you angry to not heal quickly, but 3 weeks is very, very early in your recovery.  Most people are very fatigued, even people in good condition.  I have never heard that only younger people want to push their recoveries.  You simply can't push your recovery.  If you do, you will have swelling, pain and could require a revision.

I would appeal to your family, friends or a local social services to get some help with your family chores, children and work.  Most people simply don't understand what it is to go thru major surgery like hip replacement.  Don't let anyone push you - no matter what. You have to have time to heal - the amount of time is not known.  You and your body will know as things get better - but don't push.  You will suffer for that and it will slow your body down.  Take the time now, early in your recovery, to give your body time to heal and it will pay off further down the road.

Take a stand and listen to your own inner voice and YOUR BODY.  No one else can hear that.  You are not lazy or a whimp for not pushing thru pain and fatigue trying to do things - you would be dumb to do so.

You understand that you are not ready yet, so know you are on the right track.

Please let us know how things are going for you.  We have been there and done that.  There is no way to push the healing.  There are people that have gone back to work in a week or two - which is way beyond anything I can understand   and I know an emergency doc who is almost at 6 weeks and can't return which is driving him crazy.  In the long run, we all eventually heal and get back to normal but that isn't until about 6 months.  6 weeks is usually a plateau where many people start to feel better.

If you want to talk to about 4000 folks who have had surgery, I would invite you to join the Hip Talk discussion group on my Hip Resurfacing website.  I do have a section there for THRs.  They are a very supportive group.  It is good to talk to people that understand what you are going thru.
http://www.surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat
Pat from Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

esperken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:15:20 AM »
Thank you, I needed that validation that it's ok to still be tired and not up for doing everything yet.  I guess I was just feeling really down.  I get such conflicting advice, stories, expectations from all different sources about recovery and what is "normal".  That's why I came here, with others in the same position, I felt they would know better.  So I thank you for replying :)

pwalter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Surface Hippy
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »
I am glad you realize there is no  NORMAL.  We are all special and different.

It is also very common to have some depression after major surgery.  It makes us more emotional and sometimes upset things are not improving faster. 

Hang in there.  It will get better.  Just be sure to listen to your inner voice and your body.  They are the most important messages you can receive.

Good Luck and let us know how  you are doing now and then.

Pat
Pat from Ohio
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet