Deltamotion Ceramic INCREASED FLEXIBILITY AND DURABILITYAs the first cementless acetabular cup with a pre-assembled delta ceramic liner, the DELTAMOTION® Hip System uses clinically established technology in an innovative way to provide a novel, best-in-class solution for younger patients, particularly those with small acetabulae, to give them security and confidence. It uses the most advanced materials and technology which allows optimisation of the head-to-cup ratio, allowing use of larger heads in small diameter acetabulae. This dramatic increase in femoral head-to-acetabular diameter sizing allows levels of range of motion, head engagement, stability and wear of the replaced hip, unique in Ceramic on Ceramic (CoC) technology.
The DELTAMOTION® Hip System uses the world’s first large diameter pre-assembled CoC bearing, and the BIOLOX DELTA® ceramic and titanium alloy ensures optimised head-to-cup ratio without compromising stability. The larger head size offers a wide range of motion compared with other CoC systems, making it a good all-rounder for young, active patients.
Indications and FactorsIndications for use of DELTAMOTION Cups and DELTAMOTION Modular Heads systems include:
1. Painful and disabled joint resulting from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or avascular necrosis
2. Revision of a failed previous joint replacement procedure where primary press fit can be obtainedPatient selection factors which should be considered include:
1. Need to obtain pain relief and improve mobility
2. Ability and willingness of the patient to follow pre operative guidance instructions
3. A good nutritional state of the patient
Benefits of the Deltamotion Hip System1. It can be used for playing mild sports
2. In hip replacement, ceramic wear couples significantly reduce the risk of osteolysis (due to wear debris) and t he also t he associated risk of early implant revision. Deltamotion ceramic hip replacement s are therefore considered appropriate for ” young patients”.
3. People in good health, live very active lives and expect to live well into their eighties. Clearly these are “high demand” patients who deserve a high quality hip replacement that will serve them well for the rest of their lives. These arthritic patients stand to benefit from the ceramic hip prosthesis.
4. Movement at t he hip joint is very fluid and near natural. The reason for this improvement is superior lubricating properties.
(Ceramic is more wettable, hence better able to maintain lubricant on t he surface), smoothness of the surface and the relative inertness of the ceramic material.
The effect of circulating metallic ions on a fetus in the uterus is a cause for concern . For this reason a ceramic-on-ceramic is advisable in women of childbearing age.
Patients with metal allergy benefit from this implant as the wear debris does not have metal ions in it, so there is no reaction of the immune system of the body to metal ions.